In addition to monitoring the health of your teeth and gums, we also look at your jaw joints. Poor bite alignment and other factors can lead to the onset of TMJ disorder (also known as TMD), which impacts the oral health of millions of people. Without treatment, patients can experience headaches and other symptoms.
Try Our Quiz on TMJ Dysfunction and Headaches
- True or False: TMJ disorder can lead to painful symptoms.
- True or False: Multiple factors can cause TMD.
- True or False: We can treat the issue with an oral appliance.
- True or False: Bruxism and TMD are often linked.
- True. TMJ disorder occurs when the jaw joints undergo excessive strain, which leads to headaches, pain in the jaw or face, a popping or clicking sensation in the jaw, and aches in the neck and shoulders. If one or more of these possible symptoms seems familiar, then please contact our team today for a diagnosis.
- True. Tooth loss, misalignment, poor bite alignment, and injury to the face or jaw can often lead to the jaw joint strain behind TMD. Before treating the problem, we will examine your smile to identify the underlying cause of your TMJ dysfunction.
- True. An oral appliance will be custom fitted to your smile. When worn at night, the device repositions the jaw to ease the strain on the joints. We can also use this to address bruxism as well.
- True. Bruxism refers to persistent teeth grinding or clenching, which can strain the joints and lead to TMJ problems. Likewise, untreated TMJ disorder can make the onset of teeth grinding more likely. Without treatment, bruxism can wear down tooth enamel and even crack or chip a tooth. If you have any questions about treating this common oral health concern, then contact our team today.
Do You Have Persistent Headaches?
At Jeffrey Leibowitz, DDS, we can help treat your TMD. We’ve proudly served our patients in Astoria, NY (including Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and all surrounding communities) since 1991. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Leibowitz, call our office in Astoria today at 718-728-8320.