What would you do in the event of a dental emergency? At some point in our lives, many of us will be faced with a broken tooth or extreme toothache. Your Astoria dentist, Dr. Jeffrey Leibowitz, provides emergency dental care to everyone, regardless of whether you are a current patient. If your dental emergency occurs outside of office hours, we will arrange for Dr. Leibowitz to see you as soon as possible. In today’s blog, Dr. Leibowitz explains the first steps to take in addressing discomfort associated with dental emergencies.
What to Do in a Dental Emergency
- Toothache: First, floss gently on either side of the aching tooth in case a lodged object is causing the pain. If not, apply a cold compress to control swelling and call Dr. Leibowitz.
- Something Stuck Between Teeth: First, rinse with warm water and attempt to remove the object with dental floss. If this fails, contact your Astoria NY emergency dentist right away. Never use anything other than floss to remove something stuck between your teeth as this could damage the gums.
- Cracked or Chipped Tooth: If you chip a tooth, gather up any pieces you can find. Bring these pieces with you to see Dr. Leibowitz. Rinse with warm water and apply gauze to control any bleeding. A cold compress may be necessary to reduce swelling.
- Knocked Out Tooth: Never pick the tooth up by the root, only touch the crown. Gently rinse the tooth under running water to remove any foreign debris. Do not remove any tissue adhering to the tooth’s surface. If you can’t return the tooth to its socket, place the tooth in a glass of milk. Bring the tooth with you to see Dr. Leibowitz.
- Lost Filling or Crown: Avoid eating or drinking anything other than water and see Dr. Leibowitz right away. If necessary, chew a piece of sugar-free gum and cover the exposed tooth with it. Don’t use gum with sugar, as this may cause discomfort. If you can’t see Dr. Leibowitz right away, purchase dental cement to hold the filling or crown temporarily.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Astoria NY Emergency Dentist
Do you have any further questions or concerns regarding dental emergencies? Then talk to your Astoria NY emergency dentist today. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Leibowitz by calling our Astoria cosmetic dentist’s office today at (718) 728-8320. Located in the 11106 area, we proudly serve patients from Astoria, Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the surrounding communities.