Cavities are never fun. In addition to causing discomfort, a cavity can actually lead to serious dental damage. Without treatment, a cavity can soon affect the health and stability of your smile. One of the most popular treatments for a cavity is a dental filling.
Astoria NY Dental Filling Quiz
1. True or False: Toothaches are common signs of a cavity.
2. True or False: Without treatment, a cavity can lead to an infection.
3. True or False: Your Astoria NY dentist only offers metal fillings.
4. True or False: Composite fillings can also be used to repair chipped teeth.
1. True. A cavity forms when the outer enamel of our teeth becomes weak, often due to injury or poor oral hygiene, allowing bacteria to reach the sensitive inner tooth structure. Once a cavity forms, you may begin experiencing tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures or a persistent toothache. If notice either of these symptoms on a regular basis, you should see your Astoria NY dentist right away.
2. True. Cavities continue to spread until the bacteria eventually reaches the inner pulp. Your pulp oversees the flow of blood and nutrients to and from the tooth. Once bacteria infect the pulp, you could develop a dental abscess or potentially lose the tooth.
3. False. Your Astoria NY dentist offers metal-free composite fillings. These dental fillings can mimic the appearance of the tooth, providing natural looking restoration. Composite fillings restore the tooth to full function and help prevent further decay or infection.
4. True. The same composite material can also be used in dental bonding procedures. After applying several layers of composite material, Dr. Leibowitz can repair chipped teeth and even close minor gaps between teeth. If you have any questions about dental bonding or composite dental fillings, contact Dr. Leibowitz today for more information.
About Dr. Leibowitz:
Dr. Jeffrey Leibowitz, a native New Yorker, has served patients and families from Astoria, Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and all surrounding communities since opening his dental practice in 1991. To schedule an appointment at our Astoria dentist’s office, contact us at (718) 728-8320 today.