Tooth decay can be a major source of discomfort. In order to repair a tooth afflicted with dental caries, your may require a dental filling. Your Astoria NY dentist, Dr. Jeffrey Leibowitz, offers an esthetically pleasing alternative to traditional metal fillings with our composite dental fillings.
Astoria NY Dental Filling Quiz
1. True or False: A toothache is often a sign of tooth decay.
2. True or False: Without treatment, a cavity can lead to dental infection.
3. True or False: Composite fillings look natural.
4. True or False: A dental filling can be placed in a single visit.
1. True. When bacteria bypasses weakened enamel and causes a cavity to form, you may experience tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures and a toothache. If you notice a persistent toothache, please see your Astoria NY dentist immediately.
2. True. Without intervention, tooth decay will continue to spread, eventually reaching the inner pulp. The pulp at the center of your tooth keeps the tooth healthy by overseeing the flow of blood and nutrients to and from the tooth. A dental infection can cause the pulp to die, effectively killing your tooth. At this stage, a root canal or potentially, an extraction, may be required to prevent the spread of infection.
3. True. Instead of metal, your Astoria NY dentist uses a composite resin to place a filling. The material can be shaded to match surrounding teeth. Dr. Leibowitz will polish the tooth, as well. Once placed, your tooth will look and function as it did prior to the cavity.
4. True. After removing the decay, the tooth will be cleaned and disinfected. Dr. Leibowitz will then place the filling, curing the material with a special light. After polishing the tooth, you will walk away with a rejuvenated smile in just one visit.
About Dr. Leibowitz:
Dr. Jeffrey Leibowitz, a native New Yorker, has served patients and families from Astoria, Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and all surrounding communities since opening his dental practice in 1991. To schedule an appointment at our Astoria dentist’s office, contact us at (718) 728-8320 today.